Monday, January 6, 2014

Granny's Dinner

Granny's Dinner

This is Bob's (my husband) favorite comfort food dinner. His granny lived with the family in her later years and made this exact meal. It's salmon patties, spaghetti, and baby butter beans. Of course I had to have my mother-in-law (best in the world, by the way) show me how to make this just the way Granny did, because the spaghetti, especially, is uniquely mild yet flavorful. I'll share the recipe with you here in case you want to give it a try. I call it "Granny's Spaghetti."

Granny's Spaghetti

2 tablespoons butter (don't skimp on the butter)
1 medium onion, sliced
Small handful of spaghetti (I just grab a bundle from the box, about an inch in diameter)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
Salt & pepper

Saute onion in butter in shallow nonstick frying pan. When the onions begin to soften, add the tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, while the spaghetti cooks. 
Cook noodles till shortest time so they are al dente. You will finish the cooking in the sauce. 
Drain noodles and add to tomato mixture. Bring to simmer and cook slowly, uncovered, till noodles are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir from time to time.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve! :-)
Leftovers freeze well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment