Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Popular Muffin Recipe

We hit more bull tallow! If you look closely at this picture, you can see the "smoke" coming out of the hole. Bob has new bits on the auger and they're holding up well, but it sure was slow going. We're so grateful Bob's cousin's son, Jaime, is here to help this week.

I made an easy crockpot meal for supper. Put cube steak straight into the crockpot and top with 2 pints of my homemade salsa. That's all. When I came in from the cold at 3:00 to check on things, the whole house was filled with the aroma of our dinner and I didn't want to go back outside! When it was time for supper, I made rice while the guys showered. When they came to the table, I was just pulling the muffins out of the oven. (Recipe follows)

Bob, Jaime, and Brody
Popular Muffin Recipe
Adapted from Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, c. 1950, reprinted 1998

2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. Crisco shortening
1 large egg
1 c. milk

Cream shortening and sugar. Add dry ingredients and work together with a fork till crumbly.
Beat egg and milk together and stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.
Spoon batter into greased muffin pans.
Bake at 400* 20-25 minutes. Brush soft butter on the tops after removing from oven, and serve warm.
Makes 12 not-too-sweet muffins that are perfect for serving with dinner.

Note: I used the whole wheat blend flour that my CITR friend, Joann Powell, brought me from a mill in KY, and baked the muffins in one of my popover pans (which I love to use for muffins). When you use this pan, the recipe makes 6 tall muffins. That was just enough for the guys with one left for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment