Friday, May 16, 2014

DIY: Thread Catchers

Thread catchers, or paper clip holders, or wedding favors filled with rice or birdseed for throwing, or cups for nuts or candies....I can see lots of good uses for these, depending on the fabric and the buttons! Members of my quilt guild are making these for a fall retreat, and I just finished my 10 this morning and thought I'd share the instructions. (I'm not a tutorial-blogging gal, so no pictures of each little step; just a list of instructions. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.)

I used scraps of fabric that I have left over from other projects. 

I like the light color lining with the darker print on the outside, but that's just me.
I can see these in Christmas fabrics, filled with Hershey Kisses.
How about Halloween themed fabrics and fill them with candy corn?
Or Easter fabric, filled with those little foil wrapped eggs or Jelly Beans?
How to Make Thread Catchers

You need:
Ruler or template of a 60 degree triangle with 9 1/2 inch sides (all sides will be equal)
Fabric of your choice. 
3 buttons for each catcher

How you do it:
  1. Stack fabric and cut triangles (however you want to do this..scissors or rotary cutter)
  2. Sew two triangles together, right sides facing, with a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave about 3 inches open on one side for turning.
  3. Clip points close to stitching and turn; pull out points as best you can.
  4. Press edges, folding under and pressing the seam allowance on the opening.
  5. Top stitch 1/8 inch from the edge around the entire triangle. (No need to hand sew that opening!)
  6. Fold the triangle in half, matching up two of the points.
  7. Keeping the triangle folded, take the top angle tip and bring it down to touch the fold. This shows you where the side seam will be. Make a mark. (For me, the distance lined up exactly with my needle plate.)
  8. Sew the seam from your mark to the bottom fold. Repeat with the other two sides of the triangle.
  9. Fold the tips down and attach a button, sewing through all layers.
  10. Fini!



No comments:

Post a Comment